Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Levi's Birth Story

So keeping up with my pregnancy posts... yeah, that didn't happen.

But I just finished reading Caitlin's birth story, and it still gives me tingles reading it, so I definitely wanted to sit down and take the time to document one of the most amazing moments of my life: the day my SON was born (still feels a bit surreal to say that). '

I had been hoping that Levi would come early like his sister, and hoping even more that he would make an appearance before my long parent teacher conference day which was supposed to be a 13 hour+ day for me. I knew that I would be very uncomfortable sitting for that length of time, especially the ones that were scheduled later in the evening because that's when I was most uncomfortable. Little did I know that Levi had his timing planned out to the T and was set to arrive the night before my long day.

I went into my doctor's appointment hopeful that I had progressed (the previous week I was dilated 2 cm and 70% effaced) and pretty sure that I was going to get my membranes stripped (she had offered last week, but being only 37 weeks I declined, but told her that I would take her up on her offer the following week if I was still around). Well, sure enough I was 3 cm and 80%, so I was hopeful that it would happen soon (although I had resigned myself to finishing out my last two work days before my fall break). She stripped my membranes once and asked, "want me to do it again?" "Why not?" I said. Well, guess what? The second go around she exclaims, "oh, your water just broke! Guess you're having a baby tonight!" I was stunned. I mean, I knew it was going to happen soon, I just didn't expect to get that news right there. She told me to drive home, pick up my bags (oh, and my husband ;)), and head to the hospital. I couldn't believe it!

Jason couldn't believe it either. When I called him and asked, "Ready to have a baby today?", he thought I was joking. Worked out perfect though, he was headed to pick up Caitlin from daycare, so I asked him to call our daycare lady and ask if she could stay there that night (we had previously discussed this with her). Driving home, I was trying to process the fact that I was going to meet my son shortly. I have to admit I was actually coming to terms with the fact that I wouldn't labor at home like I did with Caitlin. I had really liked this, so felt kind of sad and nervous to have to head right to the hospital.

Once I got home, we packed up some last minute things, fed our cats and dogs, and headed out to the hospital. I was started to feel some cramps, but nothing bad yet. We checked in at about 5:30 and the nurse said that they were going to start the pitocin soon. I asked if we had to go that route. I really didn't want to be stuck in bed already and wanted to see if my body would progress on its own. We also got a bit of a surprise that my doctor was not available to deliver that night (she was on call at the other hospital) and that my old doctor who had delivered Caitlin would be delivering Levi. It was slightly awkward because we had left his practice, although it was unrelated to him (we loved him). It was due to the long wait times at his office. Anyway, I was happy it wouldn't be a complete stranger in any case. The nurse left after checking me and came back awhile later and said the doctor had said it was fine if I wanted to walk the hallways and get things started on my own. I was really happy because that's what I did with Caitlin and it really seemed to get things going for me and it was most comfortable for me to be out and about rather than stuck in bed.



This time I came well prepared with earphones and my phone to listen to music which was very soothing to me. We walked about for an hour to an hour and half before I decided that I would like to get the epidural (around 7:30). Just like last time it seemed like it took forever to get to me. Actually I was getting pretty grumpy because I was in pain. Funny story (well, funny now) is I was going through a pretty painful contraction in the room and was facing the wall leaning over a table. The nurse came in to talk to Jason, but I just heard Jason talking and I thought he was trying to talk to me. I totally told him to shut up (poor guy) and I think the nurse thought I was telling her that. Haha... usually not me at all. Watch out when I'm in labor, people! This time the nurse told me we had to wait for an IV bag of liquid to go into me before they would give me the epidural. Wouldn't you know we got the IV machine that would stop working every 5 minutes. Good thing Jason was watching it because he kept going out to get the nurse and finally we got it working properly. Of course, by this time it was nearly an hour after I asked for the epidural and those contractions were getting painful! When the IV started working, I was watching Modern Family (probably one of the only ones in labor watching!) and by the middle I couldn't even really focus on watching because I was in so much pain. Luckily before the end of the show, they came to give me the epidural.

After the epidural, I felt so much better except one little spot on my left side. It was kind of strange because during all this time they didn't check to see if I had dilated at all, while with Caitlin they checked me more often. Well, about 15 to 20 minutes after the epidural they went to check me because that one spot was still bothering me and, lo and behold, I was 9 cm. The nurse told me that's probably why that spot was bothering me because I got the epidural so late (yep, just like C). About 20 minutes after that (9:20), it was time to push. Only 10 minutes of pushing this time around, and he was out. I remember thinking that he looked so much like Caitlin, and I was so thrilled to hold my SON, LEVI MICHAEL. He is absolutely amazing!



Overall, it was a great birth experience and, best of all, short and sweet. I enjoyed the two days at the hospital just soaking up time with my newborn baby boy, introducing him to Caitlin, and not cooking/cleaning (haha). I am so grateful to God to have two beautiful children and enjoying my time off with both of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment