Saturday, May 18, 2013

Why Working Different Shifts Works For Us and Why Sometimes It Really Sucks

Longest post title ever.

Pretty much sums up our lives these days, though.

Jas got a promotion at work (YAY, go hubby!) which is awesome (hello, extra $ AND chevron patches) and sucks (Tues/Weds off again?! I thought I was done with you!)

So here we are. Actually, here I am. On the couch typing away on my blog on a Saturday night. I know, SO COOL, right? There may be some pinteresting later on tonight, and knitting, and DEFINITELY a girly movie I checked out at the library.

Jas works Thursday-Monday 2pm to 10pm, but really it's more like 12:30-11:00 because of his commute and because along with that extra moolah he actually has some additional responsibilities like paperwork and leading meetings and such.

I, obviously, work a more traditional schedule. I am at school from 7:00-3:30 these days, working an additional half an hour or hour in the morning depending on my work load.

Which means we don't see a whole lot of each other. We see each other Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. I stretch myself and maybe stay up until 10:00. Most nights I am asleep by 9 or 9:30 (hey, 5 am comes early!). And we see each other Saturday and Sunday mornings. Saturdays are spent running a couple errands and eating lunch together while watching one of our shows. Sundays are spent at church and eating lunch together. About once a month, we skip church (I know, GASP) to have a whole morning together just as a family.

Hanging out by myself after Caitlin goes to bed all weekend gets kinda old.

Friday night I'm loving it. Full control of the remote AND the box of goldfish?! Sign me up.

Saturday, I try to find something to do like a movie or maybe some sort of craft (okay, so I haven't done some sort of craft YET, but it's only been a month and that's the plan).

Sunday, I AM BORED.

Sure, once a month or so I can book a sitter and go out with the girls, but, let's face it, most of my friends my age are spending their weekends with their significant others or their families. A GNO is a wonderful, but rare treat.

This schedule has some benefits, however. Benefits that I am trying desperately to remind myself of right now on a lonely Saturday night.

1. Caitlin hardly goes to daycare at all these days. She goes Monday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons from 12:30-3:45. I love that she can spend so much quality time with Mommy and Daddy.

2. We miss each other. Sure, that may sound like a negative, but we don't really get tired of each other. We look forward and treasure our time together as a couple. Date nights are a priority these days because we NEED them to stay sane.

3. As a teacher, all those breaks are lifesavers. Especially my schedule with 2 week breaks every 9 weeks. Taking care of Caitlin by yourself part of the day and having a full time job is HARD and we use our breaks to recover.

4. The time that Jason puts in now working 2nd shift with Tuesday and Wednesday off will eventually lead him to having weekends off (or at least one weekend day off). After putting in several years of 2nd shift, he should be able to move to day shift just in time for the kid(s) to start school and then he'll be home in the evenings for those dance lessons or soccer games.

Actually, to be completely honest, if he really wanted he probably could get a job working day shift. But for us right now, with Caitlin so little, this is what works best for our family. So it may not be a "normal" family schedule, but it's what's right for us in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment