Thursday, November 22, 2012

30 Days of Thanks

I loved this concept that people are doing on Facebook. There are so many thngs in our lives that we take for granted. But I didn't start at the beginning of the month, and I thought I'd have an easier time organzing my thoughts here. So here it goes (in no particular order). My 30 Days of Thanks.



1. God. He is my Rock every day. Putting my trust in Him when I am overwhelmed. He always lifts me up and is always teaching me new things each day. I pray that God grants me wisdom as I train Caitlin up to be a woman of faith.

2. Jason. There is no one I would rather hang out with every day. We really enjoy each other's company. We have grown so much as a couple the last nine and a half years. He makes me laugh always. He is an amazing daddy to our little girl. He is the love of my life.

3. Caitlin. My little ray of sunshine. She is so beautiful, so joyful, so thoughtful. I am so blessed to be her mommy. I can't wait to get to know her more and look forward to all the memories ahead of us.

4. My job. I love my job. I have dreamed of being a teacher since I was in first grade. People used to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I said without hesitation, "A mom and a teacher." Now I am both and couldn't be happier. I feel like I make difference every day. I am challenged, never bored, and the time off is great too!

5. My pets. I love my dogs and my cats. They are so sweet, aggravating, and they are our family. There is nothing better than coming home to the dogs wagging their tails. They make us smile.

6. My family. Once in awhile I imagine what my life would have been like if I was not adopted. Would I have growm up in an orphanage? Surely, I would not have had all the amazing opportunties I have had here. So thankful to God and my family.

7. All my in-laws. My second family. Truly. I love hanging out with them. Wish we lived closer, but I cherish the time we have together.

8. My friends. New and old. And especially those who are closest to me. Those I can talk about anything with. Those who know me well and still like me. Ha! Thank you for your listening ears, your supportive shoulders, all the laughter that we have shared. I have learned so much from you,and I love you!

9. Our beautiful home. Sometimes I still walk around my house pinching myself that this is where we live. It really is my dream home. Yes, there are still lots of projects to be done, and sometimes I get so frustrated with everything that breaks (pool pump and water heater to name a few), but then I imagine all that is to come. Lots more birthday parties, Christmases, pool parties, game nights with friends, bonfires, playing with the kids in their pajamas, bringing new babies home from the hospital, growing old here, and I can't wait to experience it all in our HOME!

10. Our health. So thankful. I pray for my family's safety every single night. Thank You for Your guardian angels, God!

11. All our modern conveniences such as dishwashers, dryers, microwaves. Sure, I romanticize about life in the 1900s, but in reality I sure love my indoor plumbing!

12. Our 2 working vehicles. And a husband who is such a handy (and cheap) mechanic! ;)

13. The United States. A land of opportunity. Sometimes it is overwhelming to think about all the choices that lay ahead of us. Career-wise. Family-wise. Education-wise. And then I am glad that I have the ability to choose. Lord, guide our decisions!

14. A wonderful church family. We are so glad to have found a church home here in Phoenix. It took a few different churches and more than 6 years, but we finally have found just the right fit. Thank you PCRC for the warm welcome and fellowship!

15. Cameras. I feel like time is flying by. I am so grateful for photographs that capture all those beautiful memories that I want to treasure forever.

16. Books. I love the hour (give or take) that I have each night before I go to bed to disappear into another world.

17. Technology like text messaging, skype, facebook to keep up with all my family and friends who live far away. With the time difference and a little one, the days fly by before I realize how long it has been since I've checked in, but I'm glad to hear and see that they are doing well. Hopefully, they don't mind the bazillion of pictures I post of Caitlin.

18. I am thankful for the little boy that we sponser in India. His smiling picture on our fridge daily reminds me how much we have and how we should be happy with what we have. He is beautiful.

19. Antonia, my fellow 3rd grade teacher. I don't know what I would do without her. We truly are teammates and work so well together. I have learned so much from her, and to work so closely with someone who is also a friend is wonderful!

20. The doggie door. No more taking the dogs on walks 3 times a day (condo life). No more opening and closing the slider countless times a day (rental house life). Now they come and go as they please, and our cats (and Caitlin) are none the wiser (yet).

21. Heather and Mark. Not only for our close friendship, but the fact that we trade off dog-sitting, babysitting, and all sorts of other favors (i.e. crockpots the morning of 1st birthday parties). We are very grateful for our date nights. Thanks for keeping us sane!

22. Dream Dinners Discovered this little gem about 6 months ago, and can I say "lifesaver and game changer"! Having all these freezer meals ready to go each night after a long day teaching is AH-MAZING! I usually cook up a six serving meal, and we eat it for a couple nights. More time with Caitlin and for myself? Check and CHECK!

23. Beautiful Arizona winters and Michigan summers. And direct flights to get us there quickly. My plan is coming together! Hoping to spend about 3 weeks up in Michigan if everything ends up working out. Might as well since I have the time off. The snowbirds have the right idea!

24. Amazon.com Is it terrible that this made my list?! Love the reviews, the prices, and two day shipping! Has saved me many, many errand filled afternoons. I'd rather be playing with megablocks.

25. My 10 Year Journal: Hello, best gift EVER! (Thanks, Andrea!) I love looking back before baby, during pregnancy, and now, and it's crazy how different things are year to year.

26. Fruit of the Vine e-mails. My friend Sarah and I are reading through the Bible in 3 years. It's challenging, rewarding, and inspiring. We are 68% of the way through!

27. All the current baby gadgets. I love living in the modern world. Not necessary, but appreciated items like video monitors, jumperoos, and rock n plays make me wonder how they managed "back in the day".

28. My favorite movies. Planning on watching a few this long weekend. Dirty Dancing. While You Were Sleeping. White Christmas. Anne of Green Gables. Unwind and relax (or create a 2013 photo calendar, pay bills, grade tests, and write thank you cards, you know whatever...)

29. A park, a couple of grocery stores, a Chinese restaurant, and a little girls' dance studio all within walking distance. What else do you need?!

30. Did I mention Caitlin? Seriously, the best thing that ever happened to me. I love that girl! (and, no, I do not consider this cheating!)

1 comment:

  1. Love your list of thanks! Many of those I'm thankful for too! You're so sweet. We're also so very thankful for the 3 of you as well, esp. that you've moved even closer to us! Love ya

    ReplyDelete