Here is Caitlin's Birth Story...
For about a week, I had been feeling a little "off". I had thrown up a few times (which hadn't happened since first trimester), had been unable to sleep for long periods at a time, felt frustrated at work because I wasn't 100%, etc. Still I had resigned myself to the fact that most likely she would comee on or after her due date. Although, I had told several people that I HOPED she would come the weekend of November 5 and 6. Little did I know that she was on her way so I could enjoy her ALL weekend!
I went to bed on Thursday night at my usual time, hoping to get a good night's sleep. Jason works swing shift so he came to bed around 1:30 am, woke me up to kiss me goodnight, and then we both turned out the lights. I couldn't fall back asleep (which wasn't unusual at this point in time) and began feeling slight cramps in my abdomen. I tried not to think too much of it. On Tuesday night, I had a similar experience, had woken up Jason, and neither of us had slept well the rest of the night because we got too excited. The cramps continued for about 45 minutes. I decided if I had one more that I would wake Jason up.
At 2:30 Jason and I both got out of bed, hopeful that this was "it". By 3:30/4:00 when I was still having contractions, we were pretty sure that this was going to be the day. I took a shower, went online, and we caught up with our TV shows on Hulu to take my mind off the contractions. Mostly they just felt like bad period cramps, so it wasn't too bad. In fact, at around 6:30 am, I made Jason go to McDonalds with me for some breakfast because I was hungry! I called my long term sub, my 3rd grade co-worker, and my principal to let them know I would not be in that day, and hoped to God that this wasn't false labor. I was ready to meet my girl!
I wanted to labor at home for awhile because I REALLY did not want to be sent back home. We were timing the contractions, and they went from about 8 to 10 minutes apart to 5 to 6 minutes apart around 11:30am. We decided to head into the hospital at around 12:00. By the time I was in the car, the contractions were getting worse, and it was hard for me to sit. I was so glad when we reached the hospital!
We sat in the waiting room FOREVER (about 15 to 20 minutes;) before being called back. The nurse checked me and to our surprise I was already 4-5 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I was so happy that it was the "real deal" and that I would get to stay! The nurse recommended that we walk the hallways for about an hour and then she would check me again. I was happy to do this because being upright felt so much better than sitting or laying down.
Jason and I walked up and down all the hallways of the L & D for about 45 minutes. I would stop every time I had a contraction, face the wall, hold on to the wall railing, lean forward, and breathe. By the time I got back to the room, my contractions were coming quite a bit closer together and were definitely more painful. The nurse checked me again and this time I was dilated 7 cm!
The nurse left us to call for a room to be ready for delivery. While she was gone (probably about 20 minutes), my contractions got A LOT worse. I decided I wanted the epidural. I knew going in that most likely I would get one. I just wasn't sure at what point I would need it. I was hoping to labor for as long as I could naturally and since I had already done that I was ready. I'm not going to lie, I told Jason fairly calmly at first. Then when the nurse wasn't coming back and Jason wasn't going out to ask her, I may or may not have told him quite sharply that he better go out and get her NOW! lol
I signed the forms when she brought them, and then they wheeled me down to the delivery room. I was really hoping not to have a contraction on my trip down there, but sure enough about half way down I got one so I was moaning loudly all the way down the hall. Oh, well. I guess they're used to that!
By the time, I got to the delivery room I was in a lot of pain. I was praying that my epidural would come soon. The anesthesiologist came in, and they checked me I was at 9!!! I think the anesthesiologist was surprised to be giving one to me so late, but I wanted one so badly at this point I didn't even care that I was so close. It was torture to sit still on the edge of the bed while getting the epi. Sitting still is the last thing I wanted, but I was just hoping for relief and they finally got everything in.
Unfortunately, because the epidural was given so late I don't think it really made any difference for the pain until it was time to push. I read about all these girls who get the epi and then sleep for awhile or read or watch tv. YEAH, RIGHT! I didn't feel the abdominal pain so much any more, but I felt so much pressure and pain in my bottom. I did NOT expect this at all, but I guess because her head was down there it was pushing against my tailbone. I kept saying, "ow, ow, ow, my bottom, ow, ow, ow!" I gripped the bed rails with all my strength and tossed from side to side. This was the first time when I felt slightly out of control. It was a little scary to me. I felt like I was almost having an out of body experience.
Luckily it did not last long before it was time to push. They got me in the stirrups, and I was so motivated because I knew after pushing I would see my baby girl and all the pressure in my bottom would stop. The epidural helped because I didn't feel any pain at all when I pushed. I pushed with all my strength, but it took about 6 or 7 contractions because her head was so large.
When she finally came out, I was so relieved that it was all over. She immediately went to the bathroom as soon as she came out, so she was an absolute mess, but oh so beautiful!!! They laid her on my chest right away and I kept saying "oh my sweet baby girl!" They did some of her measurements with her on my chest and then took her to weigh her and clean her up.
I delivered the placenta at that point and the doctor stitched me up (I had between a 2nd and 3rd degree tear from her head). I couldn't feel a thing because of the epidural which was great! The doctor told me he was amazed that I had delivered such a big baby (7 lb. 11 oz, 20 inches long). He had estimated that she would be 6 to 6 and 1/2 pounds a week ago. He told me that he was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to deliver a bigger baby naturally, so it was a good thing she came 10 days early!
We were so thrilled to finally meet her and still can't believe that she is ours! We are so blessed and thank God every day for all the joy she has brought into our lives. We love you, Caitlin Kim!

what a great story. Caitlin is so beautiful. I am so happy for you, I can't wait to hear about Caitlin and all of her developments and your life as a new mom. Congratulations again?
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention that with how quick labor went we never even brought in our hospital bag. We figured that we would check in and then bring the bag in later. HA! No time for that. So much for all the carefully selected labor music, back massager, birth ball, etc. Oh well! At least it went fast!
ReplyDeleteIt was awesome to read both your stories! You had more what I was hoping for, lasting a while naturally. Now that I think about it, I'll probably always try and do epidural or recommend it for the stitching afterwards, it's definitely a perk! So glad it went well Emily! U did well laboring at home. These first few weeks can be hard, but at a month it got much better.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Becky! Yes, my plan next time is to ask for the epidural a bit earlier so it actually makes it more worth it. I'm glad I was able to labor naturally for awhile; I just didn't expect it to go so quickly there at the end! I hope your week back to work went well!
ReplyDelete